Monday, August 1, 2011

nature,travels, semi-local attractions, and supper!



























































Phoenix and I took off last Friday for the annual babies & momma's camping trip that Christy Sherman organizes at Governor Dodge State Park, WI. We hiked to the waterfall, played at the beach and took turns cycling kids around behind the bike. On the hike to the waterfall we found some purple clover and young milkweed pods (taste like fresh greenbeans) to snack on. After camping we all took a tour with the kids at Cave of the Mounds. Phoenix enjoyed learning about how rock formations grow.






On the ride home we passed a winery near Elizabeth IL. Phoenix and I stopped through to grab a couple of bottles for the hard working folks at home --and for me too. I had to grab the cherry rose, becasue I love cherry wine. As I was debating the light white called "Daffodil" they splashed a little into a glass for me. Of course I had to get that one too, yum. It was a really cute and friendly winery. I am excited for some of the events they are having later in the year, such as a wine stomp!



When we arrived home I was greeted by the sight of the kitchen sink outside! Jerome was going to set the sink up outside for the summer while we are gutting the kitchen. The worst of the mold that is left is behind and inside the sink cabinets, so my sneezes say.


Jerome tied a big rope up in the tree for a swing while I helped and multitasked by picking dandelion greens for supper. I had picked up cheese in WI and we foraged a salad at home: lambs quarters, young dandelion greens, purslane, wood sorrel, and cilantro (from the garden) topped with cumin/garlic black beans. There were also some gluten-free cornbread muffins from a local baker. The white wine went well with supper, but went even better with the cold "rescued" watermelon that we had for desert.





No comments:

Post a Comment