Saturday, January 7, 2012

warmish saturday, another greenhouse, landfills, ironies

pictures are inside another of the greenhouses on our property


It is amazingly warm weather for a Saturday in January. It is in the 40's outside. We decided to have lunch in one of the greenhouses where I took off my boots, sweatshirt, and hat because it was plenty warm.

We ran across this link recently about landfills in Illinois. I think this is especially interesting because when I was trying to find the Health Department for Whit
eside County everyone said, "Oh, its right next to the landfill just outside of town." A couple of people mentioned it, is there more to this story than I am aware of? Usually . . .

I was looking for the Health Department to find out about regulations for septic and drinking water on our property. As I am applying for permits and looking into codes I had to stop out at the Health Department in Morrison, IL. Plans for this new year include construction of an earthship hut and subdivision of the land for multiple residences. We need to know what we are allowed to do with septics and cisterns.

I was amazed to see what had happened with this city landfill. The landfill is located 1 mile north of the town. It was used from 1953-1971. In 1981 General Electric dumped 25,000 gal of unpermitted chemical waste into it. They were ordered in 1989 to clean it up, but nobody has done anything about it. I should be amazed that something this large has been allowed to be ignored. Especially because it is so close to a town. The ironic thing is that while I am applying for permits to make sure my systems are healthy this is located right next to the Health Department.

The link above is from the EPA about other landfills in the state of Illinois.

No comments:

Post a Comment