Monday, January 6, 2014

heated Cob bench & thermal mass

I am really really starting to love the concept of thermal mass. The first time I heard about thermal mass was from Earthships. The tires and the berm around an Earthship provide thermal mass that acts as a temperature battery storing the heat or cold that you expose it to (integrating passive solar/south facing windows etc. to heat it up in cold times).

Deanne introduced me to a rocket stove DVD with Ernie & Erica Wisner and Paul Wheaton. It is expensive, but is a 4 DVD set with lots of information. In the DVD they discuss all sorts of good stuff relating to heat, fire, thermal mass, convection/conduction/radiation, and efficient heating. I went in with a friend to get the DVD and feel it was very worth it. I have started to think of heating homes differently.

I used to be one of those people who felt slightly frozen in the winter because heated air just didn't seem like enough to me. I felt I needed to soak in warm water or touch something warm to really soak in the heat (or gather my ambition for some kundalini yoga). Now I have learned that heating the air (convection) is likely the least efficient form of heating. Then we seal up houses to keep the warm air in and end up with stale allergen populated air.  No wonder everyone has allergies.

Heating thermal mass, which slowly releases the heat is heating by radiation and is very efficient. My body really likes this. Who doesn't like sitting on a warm bench in the winter . . . not counting menopausal women. Also, the heat is more regulated.  In the DVD someone mentions a house in Norway or Sweden that is heated with a masonry heater (using the concept of thermal mass & heating with radiation) and has free airflow to the outside just below the roof, staying plenty warm.  There are all sorts of ways to heat thermal mass from fire, to passive solar & glycol panels with in floor heating, and even in floor electrical heating mats (ease of installation & use but less efficient).   There are varying densities of thermal mass, from cement slab, even tile, to cob, and stone .  . . and so much more.

This all works up to: we are working on a heated cob bench, or two. The cob and stone help to store heat inside the house so it is not whisked out of the house if the door is opened or windows are not perfectly sealed.  The more thermal mass you have the more your desired temperature wants to stick to your living space.

One is in the entry room/inner almost-soon-to-be greenhouse.
The thermal mass is made of local limestone from a quarry and cob (also a nice sand & clay mix from a local quarry).
 Top picture is what we started with. We decided to take out the closet & table (doors are already off of the closet).
Everything is out. We tiled the walls. The bench goes in in a "U" shape.
Beginnings of a bench. We are having a cob mixing party tomorrow to bulk this up before sculpting and putting on a finish plaster coat. I'm not completely sure we will have enough materials to finish right now. The local quarries said that their stone is not accessible because it was frozen solid . . . our weather station said it was -17 degrees out this morning (without windchill factored in)! I hear this will be over soon though and I can access materials again.
The window between the bathroom and the entry room. I found these used glass floor tiles at the Habitat for Humanity Restore and knew they would fit the empty window frame perfectly; I just mortared them in. I thought about using bottle bricks but the frame is only about 1 1/2-2 in and the outsides slope. This was quick, easy, and fun. I like how it looks.

I will post a follow-up when the bench is finished!


No comments:

Post a Comment