Thursday, October 16, 2014

The Farm Ecovillage

I first became interested in The Farm Community when I googled "ecovillage training". What I ran across was The Farm Ecovillage Training Center. I was nearby last year for my cob building course and stopped through to visit.

Last October on my brief visit I ran into Jason the Resourcerer.  I shared with him what we are working on at moonCat and my search for more ecofriendly transportation. Mostly this includes biodiesel with the Mercedes Benz 300D and the custom converted Mazda that Bud Wren had made an electric vehicle out of and was sitting in my garage waiting to be fixed up and back on the road again.

Jason said he could help me fix up the Mazda and get it going more efficiently and teach me even more about biofuels. Last April I apprenticed with him in biofuels and helped to support the permaculture apprentice program at the Ecovillage Training Center.

I really enjoyed all of the natural building and permaculture going on and felt there was a lot to learn from the community.  My home-schooled daughter Phoenix stayed with me for the last week and attended The Farm School. She loved it.

Largely on a journey of wanting community, but it not happening quite yet at moonCat, finding a way for Phoenix to thrive with other kids and a school that shares my vision of  what education should be, and an opportunity falling into my lap at the right moment . . . I found myself back at The Farm this September.  Helping at the Ecohostel, Ecovillage Training Center, and Farm School is teaching me many new things that I am excited to bring back to those interested back in Illinois.

Phoenix and I are now traveling back and forth each month between The Farm and moonCat, sharing knowledge, skills, love and much gratitude.  I am also really enjoying Nashville and the great natural building and farm/nature/music network there.

I will be sharing more on the blog about what I am learning and enjoying as we thrive among like minded individuals.

No comments:

Post a Comment