Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Evanston IL and Flying Thai

Last week we drove to Evanston, IL for a Therapeutic Flying/ Thai Massage class. I have taken a couple of Thai massage classes at Thai Bodywork there and enjoyed them a lot. As a massage therapist, I see that I can work deeper with Thai massage stretches without having to do Swedish deep tissue massage. Deep tissue massage can be hard on a therapist's body and is not as relaxing as Thai. What I like the most is how these techniques nicely blend into yoga so that I can have a more active recipient.

I have a fascination with acroyoga. Anything nearby acroyoga related and I want to be a part of it. Flying Thai massage is along a therapeutic branch of acroyoga. I took a Vinyasa style yoga class with David Regelan this year at Moksha in Chicago and started to talk about acroyoga with another man taking the class. He gave me a taste of the flying Thai and I have had my eye on it since then. When I heard that the teacher, Lyndsey Britt, was teaching her last class before leaving the country Jerome and I decided we could make it happen to get there.

The class was, of course, amazing. Phoenix, Jerome, and I have had fun playing around with the techniques. It also feels amazing. It is the most fun massage I have ever had. I bought the acroyoga flight manual with instructional DVD online and am now twiddling my thumbs waiting for it to arrive in the mail.

Interesting observations on the drive there: We began to count how many cars on the interstate had passengers. We only counted vehicles until we reached 100. We counted 13 vehicles with passengers. Semi-trucks and some other work trucks did not count because their purpose was different. As we got closer to the suburbs the amount of passengers increased, but we got to 42 before we saw even one passenger! No wonder cities are encouraging car pooling. Transportation is something that we have plans to address in our own lives as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment