Saturday, October 1, 2011

renewable energy fair: Part Two (and lots of parenthesis)

It has been about a month since the renewable energy fair in Oregon, IL. I didn't quite get around to posting part two. Slowly but surely and succinctly, here it is.


Electric Vehicles
One of the most exciting parts of the fair for me was the EV display. There were a number of electric vehicles set out. I found out there is an EV club in that area that has helped people who knew next to nothing about EV's convert their own. Unfortunately the club is not in my area. Fortunately I had previously run across some videos online of a man in my area who has been doing some EV conversion. I did send Bud Wren (local EV converter) an email and he said that we could come visit some time. I have not forgotten, but again the house has taken priority.

The EV guys at the fair recommended what they said was the best book for conversion. It was encouraging to me that this is a book I already bought. We also bought our truck this past summer with EV conversion in mind and it is very similar to two of the trucks that were there. It is a standard and the body is lightweight. I have many more thoughts on this subject but I will revisit it in the future.


Natural Building Materials
One of my goals at the fair was to make a contact to find out where I could learn more about natural, local building materials. I picked up some brochures from a group in WI that offered classes. They have gone into one of those future reference files :)

Other than what I have already listed we walked around, ate some good hippy food (and ice-cream), enjoyed some acoustic guitar music, browsed some tables, and ended up leaving early because of the pelting rain and hail. Phoenix and I had purple lips because we had to run out in the weather to get her to the potty. Oh, and it was fun to see a Zeitgeist movement table among the bunch (they certainly have some interesting ideas -especially about the monetary system- but you have to be able to be open minded and look past the branding of "new agers and atheists").


These were surely the most interesting/informative parts for me. Plus a spotting of a roller-rink and the ensuing discussion of why, of course, I should join a roller derby group.



I am about to go dive into our amazing new jetted bath tub. I don't even care about the jets, honestly. I just love the shape, the candles, being clean, and the steaming hot water. Today we demolished a little more from the walls, swept again (after numerous scrubbings the day before), and painted. We finished digging a bed in the garden and planted the garlic that Cindy (amazing CSA woman) gave us. I put more rock around the sand garden. We baked a pumpkin pie from scratch and ate the whole thing (with homemade whip cream) before lunch. While I watched the pie Jerome and Phoenix made it to the Clinton farmer's market. We just found out about that one. They came back with squash, giant carrots, and flowers Phoenix had picked for me (she likes to pick me goldenrods and dandelion greens).

Phoenix and I visited the Fulton Fall Festival where she got to jump on various air-filled play spaces and I got to kneel in goat poop at the petting zoo. It was a very good petting zoo. Jerome cleaned up after our week of demolition and we baked gluten-free cookies for a friend (and us) while he napped. I just finished painting the bathroom, Phoenix is now asleep, and Jerome had to go in to work. Bye computer, hello bathtub . ..mmmmm

No comments:

Post a Comment