Tuesday, December 13, 2011

back from Earthship Guatemala, 2 weeks until Christmas

I just got back from building with Earthships in Guatemala for two weeks. I left the day after Thanksgiving and got back two days ago. The nonprofit Long Way Home raised money and received a grant to have Earthships come help build a home for a single mom in Comalapa Guatemala. Volunteers came from all over the world to help build and learn about building Earthships.

There is so much that I could write about the build in Guatemala. I am going to limit this post but hope to write more later. On the practical side I learned how to build the new roof (rebar and cement) that I want to here on our retrofit home next Spring. The Earthship we built in Guatemala was very simple. This is a style that should be easily applied in many areas (with climate tweaks) by anyone. Obviously it is much easier permit wise in Guatemala.

The roof on this house needs to be redone before we can have water catchment with cisterns. Another project is that I would like to make my own cement and can or tire cistern. This winter will be for planning, researching, and organizing.

We have got a simple system in place for water right now. Phoenix and I are still going to be doing some traveling January through March. Regina, a friend of mine who is an accountant travels to Miami Jan-March (3 weeks there, one week back) for tax season. She needs help driving and is teaching me how to do taxes (something I definitely need to learn more about). Taxes are the most mysterious part about running a business to me. Phoenix and I will be traveling with her. Phoenix will likely be in a friend's daycare during the day. I am also excited that a local studio will be having and acroyoga intensive in Miami while I am there.
(((Update: due to a recent developments Regina and I have decided that this is not the best time for Phoenix and I to travel to Miami with her. Let's see what other fun stuff shifts into place. . . more time for CSA work)))

For now we have two weeks to prepare, enjoy exploring what Christmas means to us, plan, and relax a little. I am listening to jazzy Christmas music on Pandora while drinking spiced rum and eggnog. Phoenix and I are making homemade Christmas decorations from Christmas colored newspaper advertisements, rice paper, water colors, pine cones, and some snowflake beads I found at a garage sale this past summer. . .soon to include popcorn and cranberry garlands.

I came home from Guatemala and no snow! I am on the lookout for a place to ice skate, however . . .

pictures coming as soon as the computer agrees to them

No comments:

Post a Comment