Wednesday, April 11, 2012

bedroom



















I have officially taken over what was the guest bedroom (this will now be a different room because the house has four bedrooms). I have been really enjoying how it has come together. I seem to have this odd knack for colors of things that I like "accidentally" matching perfectly. Through all of the work and transition this house is going through I find that beauty and harmony in a space can bring me a lot of peace.

The light in this room I found at the Habitat for Humanity Restore for $15. The blankets we'd already owned, but the pillows were found at a local thrift store (Salvation Army). The dresser was from the curbside furniture buffet for free. The ocean painting and bookshelf were both from local thrift stores as well; the chest in that picture was a gift from a friend. I like the chest in this room because it officially makes it feel like I am a pirate in here. The window still needs a little work. We pulled out some rotten wood where the berm had been draining improperly and I temporarily capped the bottom of the hole up with extra cement . . .but the curtain I sewed from scrap fabric Jerome's mom Mary brought to us. The top of the curtain encircles a rescued cardboard postal tube (the curtain does actually match the rest of the room, but the colors in the pictures turned out funky from lighting). Paints were from the "mis-mix" section of the hardware store . . .though I know that buying mis-mix paints is technically re-using, I am starting to consider natural based paints because I know that when I wash my brushes out all of that toxic stuff is going into the land.

Its amazing to think where we started on this place and how far we've come . . .the smells and ripping up the carpet in this room, getting the rotten wood out, sealing things up, scraping and washing and washing the floor, painting it . . . everything is not done yet, but I am content with where things are in this room for now. I find that when a lot of construction is going on one area of peace can save me.


No comments:

Post a Comment