Monday, April 23, 2012

food april 2012

One of these things are not like the other . . . (we found this tiny egg in one of our chicken's nests)

We have chickens laying and we are figuring out the best way to regulate temperature in the greenhouse.  So far the broccoli seems to be the most temperature sensitive plant in there. The lettuce beds outside have some sprouts and leaves. In front of the house the peas are thriving. We covered them a few nights within the past few weeks with frost advisory.

In the middle of the peas my cilantro re-seeded itself and is a much larger plant this year. I have already been enjoying cilantro in my rice and beans. Other herbs have popped back up outside, such as mint, spearmint, lavender and thyme.  We have been foraging greens for a number of weeks now including my favorites of wood sorrel and dandelion greens.  I tried frying up some wood sorrel today (we usually eat this raw) and it was like biting into a lemon! I think I will use it cooked as a citrus spice substitute in the future. Jerome found wild carrots last week and now we are finding them in random places around the land as well. We have enjoyed tossing our violets (I do not believe all violets are edible, but the ones we have are) and lilacs into salads.  We have been planting potatoes and have some asparagus to get into the ground now too, though that won't bear this year. Our garlic sprouts have been up for quite a while as well.

Today I happened across Spangler's Nursery near Morrison, IL. We have been meaning to check out Spangler's for a while but this is the first time I stopped in. It was very exciting! I got pulled in by the berry bushes. I asked about chemicals and was told that the only chemical used there is miracle grow (unless there are insect problems, but that is only necessary with the redbuds I was told). I came out of there with two different types of gooseberry bushes, a blackberry bush, a blueberry bush, a red currant bush, and a black currant bush. I opted for the hardy ones that were preferably sweeter than sour-er. Phoenix got a rose bush for the children's area. I will be headed back soon for some fruit trees. I am dreaming of fresh berries and pies . . . speaking of fresh berries. The strawberries have already flowered and I am keeping a close watch. I am also watching mulberries form on the trees, though it has been a while since I have checked the raspberry bushes.

On miracle grow: after looking around a bit online it seems to me so far (though I have more to look into it) that plants will not retain or reproduce any toxins from the chemicals in miracle grow. Run-off from miracle grow might be harmful for the ecosystem in larger amounts (see forum link). It is my conclusion at this point that I want some berries in the ground and am ok with buying some bushes that were started with miracle grow. Supplemental nutrition to plants in the future on our land will be via fish emulsion (which we can get locally as a by-product from Schafer Fishery).  We will be getting more bushes/trees from nurseries that are a bit further that sell native species raised organically as well.

Updates: I can't believe that I forgot to mention the radishes! Jerome planted radishes Fukuoka style (scattered seeds on top of the soil) and they have already come up and been delicious. He planted some traditionally and we have not seen anything of them yet.

On eggs. Katherine Gravert, our friend from a few miles away that sells raw milk, says that it is common with new hens and hens that haven't laid in a while to lay small eggs. To see if they have been laying you see if you can fit two fingers up next to her hips. The more space, the more likely she has been laying.

No comments:

Post a Comment