Thursday, April 12, 2012

homeschool






I am currently homeschooling Phoenix. As someone who is obsessed with books and learning I think that it is primarily the parents' responsibility to help their child understand life is about learning. I have always taught Phoenix that when she doesn't understand something then she should learn about it. Because of this, she has a jump start on her academic studies.

I decided to homeschool her starting last November for a number of reasons. One of these reasons is that sometimes the behavior of other children can be very influential--especially at certain stages of development. Another reason is that I kept having to pull her out of school while we were traveling. And last of all, because I enjoy teaching her learning with her working with her and this is a good time in our lives to spend time together. I still have my skepticism about certain aspects of public school, but am not going to go into that right now. I do not feel it is my job to indoctrinate my daughter, so if she decides she wants to give public school a go then we will certainly try it and observe the result.

I think that if we want to move toward lifestyles that are more balanced, healthy, and sustainable it starts with each individual. If the young feel empowered about their place in the world and creativity is fostered then the whole world can change in one generation!

Phoenix' core curriculum is online at Time For Learning. I picked this because she enjoys working online, it is fun, and she can do things at her own pace. I noticed when looking around that Time For Learning can easily sync up with different states' requirements. She is self-motivated with this school (which offers an option of levels) and gets reward time after lessons by visiting PBS kids for games and learning videos. I get to go work on other things while Phoenix does her lesson time, unless it is something more challenging for her (like coins right now). By working online we are also saving on paper.

In life we make sure to write down things that she wants to learn about. She learns well from videos and often we will look for short videos or documentaries on concepts she is curious about (such as batteries). We take pictures of things in nature and look them up as well. Meditation has always been something that has helped Phoenix feel she is in control of herself and her feelings (Silva 3 finger method, relaxation by Steven Sadlier, and short mantra meditations from Thich Nhat Hanh).

I have made sure that Phoenix understands that her actions don't end with "out of sight out of mind". She understands that trash doesn't magically disappear, and god forbid I have to stop and go to the bathroom at a BP gas station . . . "No, Mom, not here. This is the place that spills oil and doesn't clean it up. Mom, they are killing baby animals!"

Other areas she is currently obsessed: anatomy (especially bones), horses, art (trash sculptures and painting), sensitive plants, learning how to strengthen her eyes . . .

We also try to read nighttime books that have been made into movies: The Magician's Nephew, The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, Mary Poppins, Alice in Wonderland, Hugo (this one by accident right before it came to theaters), and The Lorax, Horton Hears a Who, The Sneeches (anything Dr. Seuss).


Pictures above: Phoenix and I drew flowers and did math. Her cat "Flower" is pregnant and she does short math problems such as two plus three. She made me a long math problem to do.


No comments:

Post a Comment